The Wuhan University Summer English Program (WUSIEP) is a
collaborative project between sister schools Wuhan University and The
Ohio State University. It has taken place annually since 2004. We are
looking for instructors to teach US culture and intensive English for
three weeks at Wuhan University. You can find reports about recent
programs online at: http://go.osu.edu/wuhan2010 and
Students: Wuhan University, located in central China, is a leading
research university with over 50,000 students. Students participating
in the summer program are both highly qualified and highly motivated. Most students will have just completed their first year at WHU and their 10th year of English study.
Objectives: To provide intensive spoken English language and American
culture instruction with the following goals:
1) Improve students' knowledge of U.S. culture and spoken English;
2) Implement authentic, high quality education on U.S. cultural topics; and,
3) Provide a meaningful, communicative, content-based learning
experience for students.
Qualifications: Teachers should have a first-hand understanding of US
1) Excellent proficiency in English;
2) Dynamic personality and love of teaching;
3) MA/PhD or current enrollment in graduate program in TESOL or
related discipline; and,
4) Classroom teaching experience, preferably at the college level.
Dates: Teaching is from Monday, July 8 to Friday, July 26, 2013.
Teachers are able to arrive in China early but must be in Beijing by
Wednesday July 3 for a two-day group tour/team-building period;
teachers can make their own post-program travel plans.
1) Traveling at their own expense to a teacher orientation/training
scheduled for Saturday, April 13, 2013 at The Ohio State University;
2) Teaching five hours/day Monday-Friday;
3) Participating in related academic activities, such as College Fair
and the academic conference, and extracurricular activities.
1) International round-trip airfare and airport transportation;
2) Private room in campus hotel and meals in the hotel dining room; and,
3) Stipend from RMB 2,500 to 4,000, depending on qualifications.
Application: Because of the overwhelming number of applications we
receive, please follow these directions closely to make the review
process as easy as possible.
1) Send one email message which will be your cover letter;
2) Paste your CV (listing phone numbers for two references) at the
bottom of your cover letter;
3) Send the message to:
Recruiting Coordinator and Program Manager
If you have applied for the program in the past, please make note of
that. Wuhan University views this positively--as an expression of your
continued interest in the program.
The cover letter is an important indication of your seriousness about
this program and will be given serious consideration by Wuhan
University--do not limit yourself to one page. It should address your
commitment to communicative interactive language teaching and the
skills and attributes you can contribute to this program. Please
describe in detail any ideas you might have for extracurricular
activities because these alone may distinguish your credentials from
the 150+ applications Wuhan University usually receives. For example,
in previous years teachers have created several new initiatives: a
poetry group, French hair braiding, dance nights, and wiffleball
games. There is considerable opportunity during the program for
teachers to create these groups and the value you add outside the
classroom is very important to Wuhan University, so please share your
ideas in your cover letter. Finally, the program will hold a
conference, Learning a Foreign Language through Performed Culture, on
Saturday July 20. If you have a paper to contribute to this, please
describe it in your cover letter.
Deadline for Application: Thursday, February 28th, 2013. Screening
will start immediately after we receive your application and be
completed during March. Due to the high volume of applicants, please
be patient and understanding throughout the recruiting process. It is
also likely that only successful applicants will be contacted--if you
need to have an update on your application because of other summer
opportunities, you can write us at any time.
We would be grateful if you could circulate this message among your
colleagues and friends.