Act I, Scene 7. Kiel Auditorium
Kiel Opera House
Kiel Auditorium was built as a result of a
bond issue of 1923. The building was dedicated and opened on April 14, 1934. Originally named the Municipal Auditorium, the City
renamed the building the Henry W. Kiel Auditorium on March 26, 1943 to honor the former Mayor and civic leader who had
encouraged the idea of a municipal auditorium and helped that concept become a
reality. Mayor Kiel was known for his support of cultural activities. The Kiel
Auditorium complex consisted of the Convention Hall, Opera House, four small
theatres, a large restaurant and an Exposition Hall. The Convention hall hosted
basketball games, wrestling, rock, popular, and classical concerts and conventions.
The Opera House was the home of the Saint Louis Symphony Orchestra, rock,
popular, and classical concerts, dance, musicals, etc. Many famous performers
appeared on the Kiel stage. The Convention Hall was razed in 1993 to make
way for the new Kiel Center — a 20,000 seat arena for hockey, basketball, and
other uses. The Opera House closed in May, 1991 with a promise by the Kiel
Partners that a renovated Kiel Opera House would reopen as a premier performing
arts center. It has now been closed for eleven years — the reopening of the
Opera House Complex will help maintain our reputation as one of the foremost
entertainment and cultural centers of the United States.
Kiel for Performing Arts, Inc.,
is a non-profit organization dedicated to the restoration and reopening of the
Kiel Opera House as a performing arts and community center. The renovation of
the Opera House complex will help revitalize downtown and will help develop and
expand cultural activities in Saint Louis. New hotels, housing, and entertainment venues need
more people to be drawn downtown. With the return of the Opera House there will
be far more to draw them. More performances can be presented, and draw
audiences both from the metropolitan area, and from greater distances, as our
audience extends beyond the region. However, as of this moment Saint Louis is the only major city in the United States with just one theatre. On a brighter note, the
building is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and in
recent months it has been reported in the Post-Dispatch, radio, and TV, that a
national developer has indicated interest in renovating and reopening the Opera
House as a performing arts center. This project, which the public has been
waiting for for eleven years, has great promise for
the near future.
H. Russell Carter, Historian
Kiel for Performing Arts, Inc.
Act II, Scene 3.
History of Camp David
A brief history of the
mountain retreat and its famous guests
by David Johnson
President Kennedy with JFK, Jr., at Camp David.
(Source: John F. Kennedy Library)
than 50 years now, when presidents have wanted privacy, they have sought the
cool, secluded lodges and cabins of Camp David, the
presidential retreat tucked away in Maryland's Catoctin Mountains.
Presidents have entertained visiting heads of state, such a former British
Prime Minister Winston
Churchill, conducted cabinet meetings, and briefed Congressional leaders at
the retreat. The 1978 Middle East peace talks concluded with what have become known as the
Camp David Accords. Yet few Americans know much about the place, considering
Federal Summer Camp
started in 1935, when the Work Projects
Administration, WPA, began building the Catoctin
Recreational Demonstration Area Project near Thurmont, Maryland, as an example of creating parks from worn-out
Three years later, the area opened as a camp for federal government employees
and their families. Known as Hi-Catoctin, the
facility consisted of several small cabins, a dining hall, and a swimming pool.
Covered with trees and 1,800 feet above sea level, the spot provided a cool
respite from the near tropical humidity of the Washington, DC,
Meanwhile, immediately after America's entry into World War II, doctors for President Franklin Delano Roosevelt
were urging the ailing president to find a place convenient to Washington, yet far enough away to escape the heat and political
pressures of the city.
President Nixon with Soviet President
Brezhnev standing beside the pool near Aspen. Brezhnev is wearing one of the windbreakers given to all
Camp David guests. (Source: Nat'l Archives)
presidential yacht, USS Potomac, was out of the question because of heightened
security considerations imposed by the war. After a search committee considered
two other sites on Furnace Mountain on the Virginia side of the Potomac
River below Harper's Ferry;
and Shenandoah National
Park, Virginia; Roosevelt toured two sites in the Catoctin Mountains.
He picked Hi-Catoctin, issuing a set of instructions
on how the buildings should be remodeled and asking for the construction of a
main lodge, which resembled the Roosevelt winter vacation home in Warm Springs,
Georgia. The initial work cost $25,000. The camp was renamed the USS
Shangri La, to follow up on the nautical connection, since many workers
involved with the Potomac worked on the camp.
Popular Presidential Choice
inaugurated Shangri-La with a three-day visit beginning July 18, 1942, all subsequent presidents have made extensive use of the
mountain top retreat.
President Harry Truman
did not visit Shangri-La often because Bess, his wife, felt it was dull.
However, when they did visit, the Trumans enjoyed
Shangri-La. Truman's favorite sport was walking and he spent long hours wandering the mountain trails with a secret service
agent in tow.
Renamed Camp David
President Dwight Eisenhower
changed the name of the retreat to Camp
David in honor of his grandson,
David Eisenhower. Although he and his wife, Mamie,
tended to use Camp David for private relaxation, Eisenhower held the first cabinet
meeting ever to take place there. He also hosted British Prime Minister Harold
Macmillan and Soviet premier Nikita Khrushchev at Camp David.
President John Kennedy
and his family visited the camp often, enjoying the horseback riding and other
recreational opportunities. Kennedy also allowed White House staff and cabinet
members to use Camp David when he was not there.
President Lyndon Johnson held
several important discussions with advisers on the Vietnam War, the crisis in
the Dominican Republic,
and other world events, at Camp David and hosted Prime
Minister and Mrs. Harold Holt of Australia.
The Reagans at Camp David in
1984. (Source: Ronald Reagan Library)
Reconstruction and Improvements
Richard Nixon used Camp David as
much as his five predecessors combined. Nixon had several new buildings built
in compatible architectural styles, but complete with modern conveniences. He
held cabinet meetings, staff conferences, hosted foreign dignitaries, and
family get togethers at Camp David.
President Gerald Ford
rode around Camp David on a snowmobile, and hosted President and Mrs. Suharto of Indonesia.
President Jimmy Carter
hosted the now famous Camp David Summit in 1978, between Egyptian President Anwar al-Sadat and Israeli Prime Minister Menachem Begin, and resulted in what are now known as the Camp David Accords
establishing peace between Egypt and Israel. Carter also enjoyed fly-fishing.
President Ronald Reagan
spent more time at Camp David than any other president. He liked horseback riding and
working in the woodworking shop. Nancy Reagan worked on various landscaping
improvements and updated decorating in some of the buildings. They also hosted
British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher.
A Camp David Wedding
George Bush pitched
horseshoes at Camp David, and welcomed Prince Charles to the retreat. In 1992,
Bush's daughter, Dorothy "Doro" married Bobby Koch at Camp David,
the first wedding ever performed there.
While President Bill
Clinton visited Camp David infrequently in the early days of his administration, he
did hold a week-long retreat on management with incoming administration
officials in 1993. As his term progressed, however, Clinton spent more time at the retreat.
Information Please® Database, © 2005 Pearson Education, Inc. All rights reserved.
Act II, Scene 4.
Oaks is a 19th-century mansion, built on the crest of
a wooded valley in Georgetown,
that was acquired in 1920 by Mr. and Mrs. Robert Woods Bliss. The name combines
a reference to the original great oaks, several of which are still standing,
with the 18th-century name of Dumbarton, taken from the Rock of Dumbarton in Scotland.
In 1933, after some 33 years in the Foreign Service, including five years as
Ambassador to Argentina,
Mr. Bliss retired and he and Mrs. Bliss settled at Dumbarton Oaks. Seven years
later, in 1940, they conveyed the house, gardens, and collections to Harvard
University. They established and
endowed the Dumbarton Oaks Research Library and Collection, which is
incorporated in the District
of Columbia and administered by the Trustees for Harvard
University. In 1944 two international meetings, generally known as the Dumbarton
Oaks Conferences, were held in the Music Room. Here the principles later
incorporated into the charter of the United Nations were
The original Federal-style house, built in 1800, has undergone many changes.
Some of the 19th-century additions have been removed
and the house has been enlarged and remodeled to accommodate the library and
collections, which now occupy the whole building. The area in which the
Byzantine Collection is housed was added just before the transfer to Harvard in
1940. The Pre-Columbian Museum was designed by Philip Johnson and completed in
1963. Another wing, designated by Frederick King, was inaugurated in 1963 to
house the Garden Library. The Rare Book Room contains a collection of the 19th-
and some early 20th-century paintings and antique furniture. The Music Room,
added to the house in 1929, has a 16th-century stone chimney piece, an 18th century parquet floor, and a ceiling painted in the
16th-century French style. It is furnished with antique Spanish, Italian, and
French furniture. Among the well-known pieces of sculpture, paintings, and
tapestries displayed there are "The Visitation" by El Greco and a
statue of the Virgin and Child by Riemenschneider.
Dumbarton Oaks has important research resources in the areas of Byzantine studies,
the history of landscape architecture, and Pre-Columbian studies. Each area has
its own research library. Together they now contain over 100,000 volumes and
continue to grow. There are resident scholars in each area of study. In
addition, about 40 fellowships are awarded annually to scholars in these fields
from around the world.
The grounds of Dumbarton Oaks include
ten acres of gardens, known as Dumbarton Oaks Park. Especially notable here are
magnolias, forsythias, cherries, herbaceous borders, and plantings of bulbs in
the spring and chrysanthemums in autumn.
Act II, Scene 6.
Union League Club of Chicago
Union League Club of Chicago
Upon entering the Union League Club of Chicago,
one can sense an aura of tradition, history, accomplishment and dedication. For
125 years, the Club has been the place in Chicago
where people have gathered to lay the groundwork for various civic projects and
organize social and philanthropic undertakings.
Established in 1879 to uphold the sacred obligations of citizenship, promote
honesty and efficiency in government, and support cultural institutions and the
beautification of the city, the Club has been a contributing partner in the
growth and development of Chicago.
Through the efforts of its dynamic membership, the Club has been a catalyst for
action in nonpartisan political, economic and social arenas focusing its
leadership and resources on important social issues.
As early as 1893, Chicago gained
recognition as a World Class
City when it hosted the Worlds
Columbian Exposition. Club members were instrumental in having Chicago
named the site of the exposition by the United States Congress. Since that time
Club members have played a role in establishing many of the citys
cultural organizations including Orchestra Hall and the Field
Museum. In the 1990s, the Club
celebrated its role in the opening of the Harold
Act II, Scene 7.
Walter Reed Army Hospital
Reed Army Medical Center
is the U.S. Army's premier medical center on the east coast of the United States.
Located in Washington, D.C., it serves more than 150,000
active duty and retired personnel from all branches of the military. The center
is named after Major Walter Reed, an army surgeon who led the team which
discovered that yellow fever is transmitted by mosquitoes
rather than direct contact.
such as United States Senators and even the President receive care at this
medical center. Walter Reed Army Medical Center is considered a tertiary care
center and houses numerous medical and surgical specialties. It is part of the
larger Walter Reed
Health Care System, which includes some ten other hospitals.
legislation authorized construction of Walter Reed General Hospital and the first
patient was admitted on May 1, 1909. Since then it has grown from a bed capacity of 80 patients
to approximately 5500 rooms covering more than 28 acres (11.3 hectares) of
Base Realignment and
part of a Base Realignment and Closure
announcement on May
13, 2005, the Department of Defense proposed
replacing Walter Reed Army Medical Center with a new "Walter Reed National
Military Medical Center"; the new center would be on the grounds of
the Bethesda Naval Hospital in Maryland,
seven miles (11 km) from Walter Reed's current location. The proposal is
part of a program to transform medical facilities into joint facilities, with staff
including Army, Navy and Air Force medical personnel.
On August 25, 2005, the BRAC
Committee recommended passage of the plans for Walter Reed National Military
Official Walter Reed Army Medical
who Died in the Walter Reed Army Medical Center
Very incomplete list!